Friday, June 17, 2011

Syllabus Responses - Week 4

Please post your responses as comments below.

Timothy T. says:



Phrases for Visual Thinking
16. Pattern recognition.

I think Pattern recognition is a creative process. It is placed under the category Visual Thinking, because it is utterly and totally a product of the mind. So it’s a matter of scale or depth--- of seeing and understanding. Pattern recognition only occurs within our personal capability to understand and within a time frame possible for us to record. Everything outside of that appears as chaos and arbitrary. Though because of the aid of super-computing capabilities, researchers in a number of contemporary sciences and mathematics (meteorology, genomics, etc.) are able to measure and comprehend the seemingly random nature of things. So, is anything without pattern? I don’t think so. If you look for it, with some creative thinking, you are going to find it. Below are some images from Mcsweeney’s Convergences Contest. It was a contest to promote a release of a book, “Everything that Rises, A Book of Convergences” by Lawrence Weschler. I contributed the one of Robert Smithson’s Spiral Jetty and a jar of JIF peanut Butter. I have dubbed it, The Spiral Jiffy. Both 
swirling, viscous forms composed of salt, minerals and water, displaying a high tendency towards entropy, and situated 
within a closed system.










2 comments:

  1. My Origins: RLK

    hi,
    My mind comes from a places that grew my form. The development of myself, is of multiple descents. The family in my tree mixed for no reasons. This combo creates me, an American. Traits from across nations, merge to form me. A clustering of culture, of dominate identities. Armenians and Russians, Irish and Italians, Germans and Polish, mixed in a brew, come together to form the person next to you. I speak of myself as a complex petri dish of cells in collection. DNA, so mixed up, its hard to find its influences or infection. A cocktail, a fusion, unforeseen by the perpetrators. They acted without plans and in confusion, thus falling together; this is my fusion, my origins…me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creativity:
    I definitely was a why child , growing up to the point of having the nickname of a "journalist " as a child
    my curiosity and passion for exploring new territories have definitely shaped my creative mind to some point , but i also think that creativity is one of those things that is 50-40... meaning if u have that creative element in u to a larger scale u do see and experience things very differently than the ones who don't ...
    I am yet to know about my self if i am on the 60% side or 40%...
    lets say i know one thing for sure , that even if i was on the 40% side of spectrum , my trainings in the field of art and architecture and my travels definitely are getting me closer to the 60 side ! so yes it is definitely trainable in my view , but only to some extent ...

    ReplyDelete